Hiking, Canoe, Kayaking
Location & Distance from Elon:
6079 Swepsonville-Saxapahaw Road, Graham
How to get there:
Driving ~30 min
Type of hike/what to expect:
A number of trails are in this section of the river. The Mill Loop is 0.5 miles, the Scout Loop is 0.9 miles and the section of the Haw River Trail is 0.75 miles. Saxapahaw Island Park is slated to open in 2017 with more trails and park areas.
Paddle access to the lake can be found up Jordan Dr. Canoes & kayaks can be rented from the Haw River Canoe & Kayak Company located off of Church Rd.
What Elon students are saying:
Places to visit on your way to/from:
In Saxapahaw you will find a number of smalls stores in the Rivermill area right off of Church Rd.
- Saxapahaw General Store-a small grocery store and cafe that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also a gas station.
- The Eddy Pub– central pub & restaurant of Saxapahaw- focus on fresh & local cuisine & sustainable community.
- Village Bakehouse– Artisan bread and pastries baked in the kitchen of the Eddy Pub in Saxapahaw, NC
- Haw River Ballroom– music venue in the old Mill- home to Cup 22 and various events
- Cup 22– coffeehouse in Haw River Ballroom. Serves coffee, beer & wine, pastries and has wifi.
- Haw River Farmhouse Ales– local brewery specializing in Belgian style beer. Tasting room and patio open year round.
- Left Bank Butchery– local butcher with storefront in old mill- can also be found at Carrboro Farmer’s Market
A community gathering and farmers market every Saturday from May to end of August. Live music and farmer’s market! Bring a blanket and hang out- very chill vibes
More to do in Saxapahaw: http://www.saxapahawnc.com/